DrJ is seeking a student or recent graduate with coursework emphasis in structural engineering who is willing to learn and apply themselves in a variety of engineering projects. This is full time internship position in a fast-paced environment. The position requires a strong understanding of engineering principles to find cost effective and technically sound solutions for clients. The work is technical and analytical, requiring the use of building codes, standards, and guidelines as well as specialized technical problem solving and ingenuity. Applicants should be self-motivated and willing to take on a variety of tasks while communicating effectively with our engineering team.
- Assist on a variety of engineering projects with oversight from an engineer/mentor
- Perform design calculations for Unistrut-framed medical equipment supports
- Engineer repair details for metal plate connected wood trusses
- Draft structural details and layouts using CAD software
- Assist lab technicians with structural component testing, data entry, and data processing
- Write research reports on topics within the wood construction industry
- Perform site inspections with structural engineer
- Assist with developing calculators and design aides to improve process efficiency
- Bachelor’s Degree or working towards Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Structures
- EIT certification or plans to obtain EIT certification
- Coursework with steel, concrete, and wood building design as well as structural analysis
- Experience using AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Interest in developing automated systems for repetitive tasks using TEDDS, VBA, Mathcad, etc.
- Ability to use Finite Element Analysis software (e.g., SAP2000, RISA) preferred
- Strong communication skills
DrJ believes that supporting product innovation for the construction marketplace has great value to consumers and the construction industry overall. We offer a new, streamlined approach for establishing the code compliance of alternative materials, methods, and designs. Founded in 2011, DrJ Engineering LLC was started to support the construction industry by evaluating new and innovative building materials, products, and processes for use in the structural and building envelope sector. DrJ’s team includes 15 people with collectively over 150 years of engineering experience and code development involvement dating back to 1995. In 2015, DrJ was accredited by ANSI as a product certification body under ISO/IEC 17065 to provide certification within our area of expertise (Scope of Accreditation). We excel at providing code compliance for alternative materials by providing research reports, called Technical Evaluation Reports (TER) from DrJ. Since the beginning, our team of professional engineers (PE) has provided the option for signed and sealed TERs, giving clients, design professionals, and building officials a higher level of confidence in the certified product.